Depression is no joke. Those who suffer from it, or know someone suffering from it, can attest to the toll it takes on your day-to-day life. What’s important though, is knowing there are people who care about you and want you to get better. Nutritional changes and mindful meditation can help and offer an all natural alternative to costly medications or therapies.
How nutrition affects your mood
There are many causes of depression — faulty mood regulation by the brain, genetics, stressful life events, medications — but here’s one you may not have considered: nutrition. What you eat affects how you feel and small changes to your diet can bring about big results. Here are a few tips to help you get healthier and feel happier.
- Avoid processed sugar. Research shows a connection between depression and diets that are high in added sugar. Instead, reach for the protective benefits of whole fruits, veggies, and fiber.
- Eat more fish. Salmon and tuna are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are proven to effectively treat depression in children and adults.
- Load up on avocados. Folate deficiency correlates with decreased production of serotonin in the brain.1 Eating foods rich in folic acid, like avocados, can help regulate mood.
- Check out these Great Herbs for Fighting Depression Naturally
How meditation can help manage depression
The thing about depression is that it hijacks your attention. Mindful meditation, however, helps you take it back. By removing focus from the bad things that happen to you and concentrating on little things, like breathing in and out, you are better able to combat depression. This subtle detachment helps you realize your conscious self is separate from your thoughts.2
Mindful meditation tips
- Sit on the floor with your legs crossed and back upright.
- Close your eyes and concentrate on your breath as you inhale and exhale.
- When your mind starts to wander, bring it back to concentrate on your breath.
- Continue until your mind becomes calm.
- Repeat daily for 20-30 minutes.
RELATED: Why Meditation is Good For You
Share with someone who needs help managing their depression
You don’t have to suffer through darker days alone. Nutrition and mindful meditation can help you feel happier and healthier. If you continue to feel depressed, make an appointment to speak with your physician.
Share this article with someone you think may benefit from its advice.
- Young, S. (2007) Folate and depression—a neglected problem. Journal of Psychiatry and Neuroscience, 32(2), 80-82.
- Penman, D., Ph.D., & Williams, M., Ph.D. (2011, October 14). Curing Depression with Mindfulness Meditation. Retrieved October 02, 2016, from https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mindfulness-in-frantic-world/201110/curing-depression-mindfulness-meditation