Fennel has been enjoyed for centuries because of its variety of health benefits. Appreciated by the ancients for its culinary and health uses. This aromatic spice is prized for its sweet woody taste, and full of nutrients needed for proper functioning of the body.
Several health benefits of fennel seed
- Rich in fiber. Effective in assisting and preventing constipation. Fennel seed is also helpful in the treatment of indigestion, bloating, flatulence, colic and avoiding abdominal diseases.
- Helpful in lowering cholesterol, by preventing its re-absorption into the blood stream, assisting arteries to flow clearly.
- Packed with minerals, including iron, calcium, copper, phosphorus, potassium, manganese, zinc, magnesium and selenium. Fennel seed can help regulate blood pressure, blood sugar and insulin.
- Rich in vitamin C, as well as A, E and B-complex (niacin, pyridoxine, riboflavin, thiamin). All of these provide antioxidant benefits, and help strengthen the immune system.
- Contains a unique blend of antioxidants, including quercetin, rutin and camphor — that help protect against free radical damage.
- Can help reduce inflammation and the effects of arthritis. The antioxidants can also help clear sinuses, relieve sore throats and reduce symptoms of asthma.
- A powerful anti-cancer agent. Anethole, combined with the other essential oils present, create its unique flavor and is also a powerful anti-cancer agent.
- Can be used as a diuretic. Because it increases the frequency of urination, and can help to purify and remove unwanted toxins from the body, while reduce swelling.
- Assists the digestion process. Chewing fennel seeds after a meal can help digestion, as well as prevent gas and kill bacteria that causes bad breath. It has also been helpful in treating sore gums.
- Helpful in promoting lactation in nursing mothers, as well as assisting to regulate proper menstrual functioning.
Include fennel seed in your diet.
The above list is by no means a complete, just a few of our favorites. Here is more fennel seed information and supplements that contain fennel seed.
Spread the word about the health benefits of fennel seed. Share this article with your friends on Facebook or your Twitter followers! Feeling chatty? Leave us a comment letting us know about your experience with incorporating fennel into your diet. Cheers to your health!