Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis), also known as orange root, yellow root or yellow puccoon, is a perennial herb and member of the buttercup family. With its roots in traditional medicine, Goldenseal is also one of the top-selling herbal products in the US. Native Americans traditionally used goldenseal for a variety of health concerns, including skin disorders, ulcer symptoms, sore eyes, and issues related to internal inflammation.
Over time, our knowledge has grown, and today goldenseal has a plethora of uses attributed to its antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and astringent properties. In addition to this, goldenseal also contains calcium, iron, manganese, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, B-complex, and other nutrients and minerals.
The roots and rhizomes contain many isoquinoline alkaloids, including berberine and hydrastine. These alkaloids are the true workhorses in goldenseal. They have broad-spectrum antibacterial and antiviral action and it’s believed that the high content of these alkaloids gives goldenseal its antibiotic, anti-infective and immune stimulating qualities.
Some Benefits of Goldenseal
Here are just some of ways the goldenseal can be helpful:
- Natural antibiotic & immune system booster. As an anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial astringent, can promote health throughout antibacterial activity in mouth onto intestinal tract. Studies have shown berberine may also help boost white blood cell count and promote increased circulation in liver and spleen. Increased blood flow enhances their general function.
- Improves digestive issues, including diarrhea. Stimulates appetite, aids digestion and encourages bile secretions. Strengthened immune system often contributes to fewer digestive issues. Found effective in combating a number of disease-causing organisms, including Staphylococcus, E. coli, Salmonella typhi, and many others.
- Aids eye and mouth problems. Acts as an astringent to mucosal tissues. Used to treat canker sores, gum issues, sore throat and more, it can reduce inflammation and kill bacteria. Used as an eyewash for irritations and infections such as conjunctivitis.
- Boosts heart health. Studies show helpful in noticeably reducing levels of LDL (‘bad’) cholesterol. Berberine stimulates the release of nitric oxide, a signaling molecule that relaxes the arteries, increases blood flow, reduces blood pressure and protects against arteriosclerosis. As a result, evidence demonstrates goldenseal’s ability to promote cardiovascular health and prevent heart failure.
- Fights and prevents cancer. Increased white blood cell count assists in prevention. Also effective in helping increase white blood cell count after chemo. Additionally, in tests, berberine proved effective in inhibiting cancer cell growth. Ongoing tests also show promising results in cancer cell kill rate. More tests are needed, but results are encouraging.
Goldenseal’s antibacterial qualities and overall potency are very strong. As a result, it is recommended only for short-term use. However, because it is so effective, it works well as part of any detox or cleanse program. Consult your physician, if you have concerns about goldenseal’s appropriateness for you.
Products that contain Goldenseal Root